No, that’s not the sound of a deadly crustacean lurking nearby. It’s just me, typing my thoughts so furiously that I can’t be bothered to formulate another long-winded, flowery review. That doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy this book. On the contrary, it means that I loved it so much, I just want to blurt my thoughts with these bullet points:
- So far, I’d only read the first book in the CLICKERS series. When I received this anthology, I worried that maybe I should wait to read it until I’d read the others. I decided not to wait, and it still worked for me.
- I loved the mix of writing found in this book. There’s a nice balance of stories, along with tribute pieces. I enjoyed that the stories are set at different points in the CLICKERS series, and some of them are set in the worlds of other novels by J.F. Gonzalez.
- There was something I enjoyed about every piece of writing in this book, and with so much variety, I found it tough to select favorites, so I’m refraining from doing my usual “Top 5” bit in this review. Another great thing—I’ve discovered more new-to-me authors after reading this one.
- I’m sorry that I’m late to discover Gonzalez’s work, but on the flip side, how exciting is it that I still get to read many of his books for the first time? I’m especially looking forward to the fact that there will be more, previously unpublished work to come. I could really feel the love of his friends and fellow writers, and I’m sorry I’ll never have a chance to meet the man.
- Most books provide an escape from reality, but there are some that do the job better than others. CLICKERS unexpectedly did this for me, and it was the same with CLICKERS FOREVER. I had a busy week while reading this and just couldn’t wait to dive back into the pages every night.
- While there are heavy doses of humor and horror within these pages, there’s naturally a lot of heart that went into it. I didn’t expect this book to wreck me, but it did. (Especially that last piece by Kelli Owen.) This is another book to file under “Books I Want to Hug”.
If it’s not clear already, I loved this book. In the future, expect to hear much more from me regarding the CLICKERS universe and additional work from J.F. Gonzalez. It’s time to make more room on my bookshelves.